The goal of the GSA’s professional development team is to help graduate students build skills beyond those used in the classroom and laboratory; skills which better prepare them for the competitive job market . We also seek to broaden students’ familiarity with career opportunities, both within academia and outside it.
Current Professional Development Opportunities can be found here.
Our primary responsibilities include:
- Facilitating relationships and interactions with alumni, bringing valuable real-world experience back to current students.
- Coordinating with employers to bring awareness of job opportunities to students, and promoting the talents of Rice graduate degree recipients.
- Identifying areas for improvement of professional skills within the graduate experience at Rice (e.g. communication, leadership, exposure to a variety of career opportunities).
- Planning and coordinating the logistics of events to achieve the above points.
We are always interested in hearing your ideas, thoughts, and suggestions. The feedback of current students is an essential part of improving the graduate experience for all of us. Contact the professional development directors directly (Josh and Harsh), or email gsa[@]rice.edu.
Campus Resources and Important Contacts:
- Make an appointment with the Center for Career Development for 1-on-1 career advice
- Attend Final Fridays for graduate-student specific career advice
- Check out their roadmap to graduation for Masters and PhD Students
- Browse their other resources including How to Leverage LinkedIn or Writing a CV
Contact: Andrew Tessmer
- Succeed workshops bring in guests to help us work through how to develop as graduate students
- GradStarter offers funding opportunities for new events that enhance the graduate community
Contact: Kiri Kilpatrick
- Find special interest groups like REA (and like them on Facebook)
- Check out their events listings
Contact: Jack Stoetzl
- Make an appointment to perfect a poster, practice a talk, get feedback on presentation style, and much more!
- Look for their fantastic collaborations with Succeed workshops and Final Fridays!
Contact: Jennifer Wilson