The goal of the GSA’s professional development team is to help graduate students build skills beyond those used in the classroom and laboratory; skills which better prepare them for the competitive job market . We also seek to broaden students’ familiarity with career opportunities, both within academia and outside it.
Our primary responsibilities include:
- Facilitating relationships and interactions with alumni, bringing valuable real-world experience back to current students.
- Coordinating with employers to bring awareness of job opportunities to students, and promoting the talents of Rice graduate degree recipients.
- Identifying areas for improvement of professional skills within the graduate experience at Rice (e.g. communication, leadership, exposure to a variety of career opportunities).
- Planning and coordinating the logistics of events to achieve the above points.
We are always interested in hearing your ideas, thoughts, and suggestions. The feedback of current students is an essential part of improving the graduate experience for all of us. Contact the professional development team (Josh, Shagha, and Chris) directly, or email gsadevelopment[@]rice.edu.
If you would like to subscribe to a mailing list that distributes professional development events and opportunities, subscribe at https://mailman.rice.edu/
- Make an appointment with the Center for Career Development for 1-on-1 career advice
- Attend Grad Focus Events for graduate-student specific career advice
- Check out their roadmap to graduation for Masters and PhD Students
- Browse their other resources including How to Leverage LinkedIn or Writing a CV
Also, join Handshake!
Handshake is CCD’s job and internship database. Unlike other job search websites, employers who post in Handshake are specifically looking for Rice students and alumni. Use Handshake to:
- Apply for jobs and internships
- Apply to on-campus interviewing positions
- Research and connect with employers
- Schedule appointments with counselors
- RSVP for events
- Access a variety of Career Development Resources
Over 14,000 jobs and internships were posted in Handshake during the 2016-2017 school year.
- Succeed workshops bring in guests to help us work through how to develop as graduate students
- GradStarter offers funding opportunities for new events that enhance the graduate community
- Find special interest groups like REA (and like them on Facebook)
- Check out their events listings
Also, check out Sallyportal!
The Sallyportal is a networking and mentorship hub exclusive to Rice. It is the premier way for Rice students to seek mentorship from interested alumni, and connect to fellow Owls professionally. The GSA maintains a group on the site, so be sure to join.
Here is a link to the alumni Linked-In page.
- Make an appointment to perfect a poster, practice a talk, get feedback on presentation style, and much more!
- Look for their fantastic collaborations with Succeed workshops and Final Fridays!
Doerr Institute for New leaders (DINL)
Offers leadership development and career coaching.
Rice Center for Engineering Leadership (RCEL)
Offers classes and certificates in engineering leadership.
Liu Idea Lab for Innovation and Entrepeneurship (lilie)
One of many Rice organizations focusing on starting, and building buisnesses from new ideas.
Rice Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE)
Offers certificates and classes for improving pedagogy and teaching skills